
The highlight of our May was the visit of Elder Oaks, Elder Hallstrom and Bishop Burton (and all three brought their wives) to Asia. They were in Bangkok, Thailand and other countries such as Cambodia, Viet Nam, Laos -- then they came to Hong Kong for five days. Meetings in the Conference Room a few feet from my desk took place on two separate days -- I was privileged to serve the men lunch and morning/afternoon breaks. On Saturday, I prepared lunch for them on the 10th floor and another for 30 on the 5th floor. Obviously, I needed help . . . and it is always forthcoming from wonderful senior missionaries. Above is pictured the gift baskets that I prepared and had placed in their hotel rooms. The final full day of their visit here included a very special meeting on Sunday afternoon for our International District -- certainly their visit will long be remembered by all who were in attendance. We felt blessed to be able to assist.

On the way to the office one morning, I spotted an adorable little girl sitting with her nanny on the ding-ding (tram). We all got off at the same stop, and proceeded to walk in the same direction. When she arrived at the school, I inquired if I could take a photo -- she seemed happy to stop for a moment while I was indulged. I simply adore the children!

We keep going back to Nan Lian Garden because it is such a peaceful spot. A recent couples' activity saw a group of us wandering the paths and enjoying the beauty of this special place.

It was my first visit to the nunnery, which is quite impressive, but the pagoda is still my favorite part of the garden.

Obviously it takes a lot of labor to keep the gardens looking so pristine -- the workers could be seen in their "traditional" Chinese hats.

Near the garden is Plaza Hollywood -- plus many high-rise apartments. Certainly a "mixture" can be found in many parts of Hong Kong.

The library in Causeway Bay is a beautiful building -- I suspect it is well-used because the Chinese seem to be very well-educated and lovers of learning.

We had the choice experience in May of attending a BYU-Hawaii Concert Choir performance. It was incredibly good -- with a great variety of selections in the program. Many of the Filipina women from our branch were also there -- as photographed above with Ned.

As we were nearing the temple one Thursday evening for our regular assignment there, I noticed a beautiful flowering tree which I couldn't resist photographing. The sky in the background looked especially interesting that early evening.

Seeing Andrea Bocelli in concert was pure pleasure. Along with about 15,000 other "fans," we watched and listened as Mr. Bocelli thrilled all with his singing. He was joined by a symphony orchestra from Taipei, Taiwan and a chorale group from HK. Also, there were three superb guest performers -- all stunning. It was an evening to remember, and we were so happy to celebrate Elder Watson's birthday with him and his wife.

A holiday from work (May 1) and a beach party for our branch occupied this Saturday afternoon. The weather was ideal, the scenery was beautiful and the branch members love being together.

Volleyball and other games were enjoyed by many . . . while others sat on the beach and watched.

Finding a starfish shell, walking along the sandy beach, and just enjoying the beauty of the shoreline made for a pleasant few hours doing something "out of the ordinary."

Walking to the office one morning, I noted a water-main break! Cars were passing, pedestrians going by, officers and workman looking at each other, but the solution hadn't yet been reached!
It is always so fun to read your blog - you are doing an excellent job. I know you will miss Hong Kong very much when you return home.
ReplyDelete